[Skip to Content]

Victim Compensation

Victims Compensation Assistance Program

The Victims Compensation Assistance Program helps victims and their families through the emotional and physical aftermath of a crime by easing the financial impact placed upon them by the crime. There are limits to how much money some benefits will provide. Only certain crimes are eligible for Victims Compensation.

  • Medical expenses 
  • Counseling
  • Loss of earning
  • Loss of support
  • Funeral costs 
  • Travel costs 
  • Childcare 
  • Stolen cash 
  • Relocation 
  • Crime scene cleanup 
  • Other costs
To Receive Compensation:
  • The crime must have occurred in Pennsylvania;
  • The crime must be reported promptly to proper authorities or a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA), Sexual Violence Protection Order (SVPO), or Protection from Intimidation Order (PFI) 
  • The victim must cooperate with the police, courts, and the Victims Compensation Assistance Program;
  • The victim must file the claim within five years of the crime; AND
  • The victim must have a minimum loss of at least $50 because of the crime (if you are less than 60 years old).

This program will not reimburse you for: 

  • Pain and suffering.
  • Stolen or damaged property.

The best way to file a claim is with the help of a victim advocate.  Call 717-337-9844 for assistance. Or go to www.pccd.state.pa.us.  There is no cost to file a claim!   








It is your right as a victim of crime to receive restitution for your losses. Restitution is court ordered, meaning the judge will direct the offender at the time of sentencing to pay restitution for your losses. This may include expenses from doctors, hospital, dentists, or counseling as well as medication, funeral costs, and lost wages as a result of an injury sustained during the crime. Restitution can also be requested for damages to your property or stolen items. You will receive paperwork from the Victim Witness Program asking for your reimbursement request. Please keep all bills, receipts, and estimates, as documentation is required to request restitution. If you have any questions, call Victim Witness to speak with an advocate. 

See Clerk of Courts for restitution questions and payment disbursement

See Forms for restitution document.