[Skip to Content]

Public Defender

Public Defender

About Us

The Adams County Public Defender’s Office is responsible for providing legal representation to all juveniles who commit criminal offenses and to financially qualified individuals in adult criminal cases, parole/probation and intermediate punishment revocation matters, protection from abuse contempt cases, cases involving alleged contempt of court for non-payment of fines and costs, and mental health involuntary commitment hearings. Eligibility for representation is based on the income and personal assets of the individual (and in some cases, his or her household) who has applied for services.  Individuals who are incarcerated automatically qualify for public defender services.  It is the objective of this office to provide competent and effective representation on behalf of the accused/client in each case, and to ensure that all individuals, regardless of financial circumstances, are afforded due process and the protections of our state and federal Constitutions.

Contact Us

Office Hours:
8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m.
Monday - Friday

Application for Service

It is the responsibility of the Office of Public Defender to provide free legal representation for any person charged with a criminal matter in Adams County, who, for lack of funds, is unable to afford an attorney. You may be eligible for services.

To apply for services, you must complete the attached application. All information must be completed, and application must be dated and signed. Please, mail or submit in person your completed application and appropriate verifications to the:

Adams County Public Defender’s Office
111 Baltimore Street, Room 6
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Please print and fill in the application completely. Delays will result if information is not legible.  If you receive any other new charges, you must re-apply for every charge.  Please bring all of your legal paperwork and most recent 3 pay stubs with you.

When submitting an Application of Assignment of Counsel, you must include a copy of all case papers and hearing notices as well as your last 3 paystubs. You must submit the original application either in person or by mail.   

We do not accept completed applications by fax or email.