[Skip to Content]

Military Discharge Records

Military Discharge Records

The Recorder of Deeds Office records Military Discharge records. When the discharges are recorded, you are provided with certified copies, in the event you need them for various Veterans benefits. There is no fee for filing your Military Discharge papers.   

No one but the veteran is permitted to look at these records.  

If you should need the assistance of the Veterans Affairs Office you can contact them at: 117 Baltimore Street, Room 7, Gettysburg, PA 17325 Phone: (717) 337-9835 Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations. Information shown on the Report of Separation may include the service member's:

  • Date and place of entry into active duty
  • Home address at time of entry
  • Date and place of release from active duty
  • Home address after separation
  • Last duty assignment and rank
  • Military job specialty
  • Military education
  • Decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards
  • Total creditable service
  • Foreign service credited
  • Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)