[Skip to Content]

Termination Of Parental Rights

Termination Of Parental Rights

Termination and Relinquishment

There are two distinct types of termination proceedings for parental rights.  One is voluntary, the other is involuntary. Either way, even with consent, a formal process is necessary to protect the interests of all parties concerned.

"Relinquishment" is voluntary consent to the termination of one's parental rights to a child. It is also called "Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights" and "Consent to Adoption."  

Involuntary termination requires more than just a short fact finding hearing to evaluate "consent." In an involuntary termination proceeding, consent is not required to terminate parental rights. 

Termination and Relinquishment of Parental Rights are confidential! 


The caption for all pleadings and docket entry shall carry the given name of the child.

  • Each child will be assigned a case number regardless of if one petition. 
  • The original and two copies of the petition shall be filed in the Clerk of Courts Office along with the filing fee for each child.
  • The Clerk of Courts office will assign a docket number and forward document to the Orphans' Court Judge.
  • An Order of Court and Notice will be filed in the Clerk of Courts office.  A copy will be forwarded to the Petitioner. Hearing date and times will be scheduled by the Court.  


This information is being provided for informational purposes only and not legal advice. You should contact an attorney if you are seeking legal advice.


Forms for Parent(s) Whose Rights Have Been Terminated|