[Skip to Content]

Changing Your Name Due to Marriage

Changing Your Name Due to Marriage

Name Change Due to Marriage

Pennsylvania does not require a name change for marriage.  If the applicant wishes to change his/her name after marriage, certified copies of the marriage record will be required in order to change your driver's license and social security card.

To change your name on your social security card, you will need to gather all of your documents proving your legal name (i.e. marriage, divorce, Certificate of Naturalization, Court Order, etc.) identity, U.S. citizenship or immigration status

Complete an Application for Social Security Card

Take or mail the application and documents to your local Social Security office.  All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency.  They will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of the documents.  Any documents you will mail will be returned along with a receipt.

The Social Security office will mail your card as they have verified your documents.  You should receive your card in approximately 10 business days from the date on the receipt. The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

Social Security Offices

Social Security Administration1-800-772-1213

Surrounding PA Social Security Offices

Cumberland County
401 East Louther St.
Carlisle PA 17013

Franklin County
50 North Third St.
Chambersburg PA 17201

York County
950 Borom Road
York PA 17401

Surrounding MD Social Security Offices

Carroll County
115 Airport Drive Ste. 108
Westminster MD 21157

Social Security Administration
246 East Green Street
Westminster MD 21157